Higurashi GR Secateurs Japanese Pruners
Our go-to pruners/ secateurs. We love these drop-forged carbon steel secateurs, perfect for pruning, house plants and cut flowers.
They have a lovely refined action, perfect for woodier stems in flower arrangements, as well as general garden pruning. The chunky catch and the hard wearing carbon steel blade make these perfect for all day use. James is never found without his pair on his belt.
* Please note: By law, we are not permitted to sell a knife or blade to any person under the age of 18. By placing an order for one of these items you are declaring that you are 18 years of age or over. These items must be used responsibly and appropriately.
Most of the Niwaki sharp tools are made from carbon steel - this means they will, through regular use, stain (and eventually rust) and gradually lose their edge. Caring for them involves three things…
1. Correct Use:
- Japanese steel is hard and sharp, and can be more brittle than some people are used to - it will chip if abused
- Do not cut wire, metal, stone, plastic or any other hard material (even bamboo fibres and some very hard woods, especially knots and burrs, can damage steel edges)
- Do not twist or apply uneven pressure
- Cut diagonally across branches (not straight across) so you cut along the fibres
- Pay attention to our maximum cut dimensions, and don’t overdo it (shears are not loppers)
- Use the base of the blades, not the tips, for heavier cuts
2. Keeping Them Clean:
- Remove leaf resin, rust and gunk with a Crean Mate and water
- Dry, wipe over with Camellia oil and store in a dry place
3. Keeping Them Sharp:
New tools won’t need sharpening for some time, but after a while you’ll notice them gradually lose their edge, especially if you’re box clipping (you need REALLY sharp blades to get a good finish with box). Use the Niwaki Sharpening Stones for best results (#1000 grit is best for general sharpening).
- Sharpen Secateurs every couple of weeks
- Sharpen Shears and Topiary Clippers EVERY TIME you use them - the difference is amazing
We deliver to SO21, SO22, SO23 and SO24 on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. Delivery cost will be calculated at the till. Please give 24hrs notice to cut and arrange your flowers.
Available for collection Tuesday - Saturday. Please give 24hrs notice to cut and arrange your
All our packaging is 100% plastic free and fully compostable or recyclable.
To keep your flowers looking their best, arrange them in a clean vase with fresh water, place away from direct sunlight or heat and change the water every few days. We also recommend trimming the ends of the stems after a few days to help them draw up water.